QUESTION: I sometimes find it difficult to remove the Sleep Tape in the morning. Do you have any tips?
ANSWER: Sleep Tape has been on the market since 2013. The material in Sleep Tape is non-woven rayon, which is allergy friendly and free of latex. We tried out several different types of tape before finally deciding on this particular material.
The adhesive in Sleep Tape is only available in one strength and is intended to work both for those with beards and mustaches and for those with sensitive skin. Some feel that the tape is too tight or that you get sore on the lips or a rash around the mouth. Here are some tips on what you can do:
- Drink water. Dry lips may be an indication that you have too little water in your body. However, be careful not to drink too much water as it is not good either. An easy way to check if you are drinking enough water is to check the smell and color of your urine. Yellow to light yellow and very faint or no odor indicate that you are drinking enough water. In addition to drinking enough water, it is also important to not lose more water than necessary through the exhalation. A Swedish study showed that as much as 42 percent more water leaves the body during mouth breathing than during nose breathing. So, breathe in and out through your nose as much as possible to help maintain hydration.
- Place the tape against the pillow. Place the tape against the pillow a few times to loosen the effectiveness of the adhesive.
- Reuse the tape. Reuse the tape several nights in a row, so that the adhesive is removed gradually.
- Tape the nose-chin. Tape from the nose down to the chin so that less skin comes into contact with the tape. This also leaves a slight opening on either side of the tape, which can be comforting to know is there if you feel the need to breathe through your mouth.
- Fold in the lips. Fold your lips a little before putting on the tape.
- Lubricate lips. Rub your lips with coconut oil, cerate or something similar.
- Moisten lips. Moisten your lips with your tongue.
- Fold in edges of the tape. Fold down a small bit at the ends of the tape and it will be easier to remove.
- Before removal: Moisten lips. Before removing the tape, moisten it with your tongue and then push it out from the inside.
- Before removal: Soak in water. Before removing the tape, soak it with regular drinking water from the tap.